Challenge #17: Photo printing templates

22 replies to this topic

#1 Paula

Paula

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• Teachers
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Sorry I'm late this week -- got a little side-tracked doing housework of all things :o

This week I am going to show you how to create a template to hold four 2x3 pictures on one 4x6 photo. The technique is very simple and you will be able to modify it to hold two 3x4 photos on one 4x6, or even six 2x2 photos.

Photoshop/Photoshop Elements:
1. Create a new 4x6 canvas in Photoshop/PSE -- it's one of the preset available in the drop down list.
2. Create a new layer (layer, new) - this will house the first photo placeholder.
3. Go to the View menu and select the Grid option (View, Show, Grid -- for Photoshop). Check to make sure Snap To Grid is also selected. Your canvas should have a grid on it.
4. With the marquee tool selected (M) change the Mode or Style to Fixed Size and add the dimensions of 2in x3in. You will get a 2x3 rectangle when you put your cursor over the canvas.
5. Move the rectangle to the upper left corner of the canvas. Having snap to grid turned on will mean that the rectangle will be constrained to the grid lines which makes positioning it easier.
6. Go to Edit, Fill selection and fill the rectangle with color.
7. With the Move tool selected (V) copy the rectangle by holding down the Alt key and dragging the rectangle over to the right side of the canvas. Do the same again for the other two photos placeholders

You should now have a template with four 2x3 placeholders. You may need to play around with positioning to get them exactly in the right places but the Snap-to-Grid should help. You can also use the align tools.

To use the template just drag your photos onto the canvas. Position each photo in a layer above a photo placeholder layer and then "clip" the photos on by pressing Ctrl-G in PSE or Alt-Ctrl-G in Photoshop. Make sure you are on the photo layers when you clip. You will probably need to resize your photos using the Transform command (ctrl-T).

Save and print like a regular 4x6 photo! Here's a layout I made using this technique:
Posted Image
Let me know if you have difficulties with any steps!

Paula Gilarde

In my bag: Canon Digital Rebel T1i, plus 50 mm 1.8

#2 TamiTaylor

TamiTaylor

Get It Scrapped! Teacher

• Teachers
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

OMG.. so not how I attempted it.. that's super quick

#3 acochranpa

acochranpa

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

This totally ROCKS! I also tried to figure this out on my own. This is so much easier. I'm off to try circles now! Thank you so much!

#4 deepounds

deepounds

Trying To Figure Out What I'm Doing!

• REGISTERED
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

WOO HOO! This is super . . . thanks a million!! :)
~ Dee

#5 gabmc

gabmc

Trying to be good

• REGISTERED
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

This will be so useful, thanks Paula. And I guess we can use the same steps (just change the dimension) to print onto an 8 1/2 x 11 page too??
Gab

Scrap your Events, Everyday Life, Travel, Yourself, Page Parts Challenge, Back to Class, Digital Templates, Art Journaling 101, Souvenirs of the Season, Sense and Sensibility, Embellishments Beautifully Handmade, Product Pizzazz 101 and 102, Art Journaling 102, Scraproom with a View, Beginner and Intermediate Photo Editing, Your Life through the lens, Oodles of Doodles Alumni

Posted Image

#6 Paula

Paula

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• Teachers
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

Absolutely Gab! I just used 4x6 because that is the size that most people typically have their photos printed. :)

Paula Gilarde

#7 scrappy_granny

scrappy_granny

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Do the files have to be cropped into the 2x3 size before inserting onto the canvas?

#8 TonjaTrump

TonjaTrump

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:29 AM

That is awesome! I am SO going to try this!! Thanks Paula!!
Tonja Marlar Trump
Life is too short not to scrap!

It's All About The M's

#9 Paula

Paula

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• Teachers
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

scrappy_granny - the photos do not have to be cropped, they can be but they do not have to be. You can resize them directly on the canvas.

Paula Gilarde

#10 pharmgirl

pharmgirl

big ... no huge ... fan of GIS

• REGISTERED
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:photography, gardening, nature walks, and scrapbooking of course

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

wow Paula! I've always wondered how to do this!

#11 Debi

Debi

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Paula!
Debi

Scrap Your Events, Scrap Your Everyday Life, Scrap Yourself,
Page Parts Challenge, Scrap Your Travel & Vacation, Digital Templates,
Back to Class, Beg. Photo Editing

Int Photo Editing Student, In Loving Memory Student

Posted Image

#12 pharmgirl

pharmgirl

big ... no huge ... fan of GIS

• REGISTERED
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:photography, gardening, nature walks, and scrapbooking of course

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

OK Paula - you've totally opened up a lot of doors for me with this little hint - scrapping has been a challenge for me lately and you have made it easier in many ways! thanks ! :D

#13 napiergirl

napiergirl

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

I guess as i'm new to digital scrappin, i had trouble trying to do the 6x4 template. Any way you could do a couple of templates that i could download Paula? :notworthy: I'd so love to have these. One day i'll master this digi scrapbooking..lol

#14 scrapweaver

scrapweaver

Get It Scrapped! Teacher

• Teachers
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Scrapping, photography, dance, exercise, outdoors

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:34 AM

Yeah! Thanks Paula!
Michelle
My Blog

Posted Image

#15 cpanther57

cpanther57

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:PHOTOGRAPHY, digiscrapping/designing, reading, cooking, gardening, woodworking

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

Thanks so much Paula! I'm doing the new Scraproom With A View and want to do an altered chipboard album for that class and this will be a tremendous help!

Cheryl McCain
My Photography

#16 Ravenwood1950

Ravenwood1950

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Needlework and Scrapbooking Family History and my activities.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Paula,
I looked for the 'drop down menu' in my PSE8 in the edit mode and create mode. I could not find it. I have the most miserable time trying to print my photos in different sizes! :( So far I have just opened them in a word document and just dragged and guessed at the sizes the best I can. I can never get 4 2x3's to fit in a 4x6 template area so I can order them that way. Is there anything anywhere that easily lets one make their photos the size they want them? So many page maps list specific sizes and I am at a loss to create them. It sure is discouraging.
I would be so grateful to learn how to do this without struggling all day to get one sheet of photos ready to print.
Darlene
Darlene

Page Parts Class Alumni
Scrap Your Everyday Life Alumni
Scrap Yourself Alumni
Scrap Your Travel Class Alumni
Digital Scrapbooking with Pattie Knox Alumni
Sentiments of the Season Alumni
Sense and Sensibility Alumni
Product Pizzazz 1 Alumni

Ravenwood Cottage

#17 Paula

Paula

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• Teachers
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hi Darlene,

Sorry for the delay -- I just saw this now :)

You can create a new canvas of any size -- I used the 4x6 preset but you can just specify a size.
Open Photoshop/Elements in edit mode, select File menu, New and enter 4 inches and 6 inches for the width and the height in the new canvas box that shows up. You want to put 300 in the dpi box -- by default that might be 72 dpi.
Then you follow the instructions as listed before.

I hope this helps!

Paula Gilarde

#18 Ravenwood1950

Ravenwood1950

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Needlework and Scrapbooking Family History and my activities.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Paula,
I got the template created, but when I drag the photos I want to include on the template they do not just 'snap' to the 2 x 3 areas. I still have to drag the corners down to fit into the quadrants. Is this correct? I was still off a tad when it came time to print the larger 4 x 6 but it was better than I had ever done before.
Any other pointers?
Do the same sort of idea for any template I create to hold any number of photos?
Wish they would just pop into the smaller areas...lol.
Thanks for your help!
Darlene
Darlene

Page Parts Class Alumni
Scrap Yourself Alumni
Product Pizzazz 1 Alumni

Ravenwood Cottage

#19 Paula

Paula

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• Teachers
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yes, Darlene - you will have to resize them to be 2x3. You can crop your photo separately to be 2x3, 300dpi and it should be fine - is that what you are asking?
And yes, you can make the templates for any size - say you wanted to fit a bunch on a 5x7 or 8x10 photo you would follow the same steps. Or you can make your photos 2x2 -- you can fit 6 of them on a 4x6 photo.

Good luck!

Paula Gilarde

#20 Ravenwood1950

Ravenwood1950

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

So should I resize my photos in another photo program to 2 x 3 and then file-open-drag to template...or can I file-open-resize in PSE and then drag to the template?
When I open a file in PSE I think it shows it as 72 pixils..at what point is it best to change the dpi to 300? Does this make sense?
Thanks so much for your patience, Paula!
Darlene
Darlene

Page Parts Class Alumni
Scrap Yourself Alumni
Product Pizzazz 1 Alumni

Ravenwood Cottage

Reply to this topic