• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CABoyle

CABoyle

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Last night, my husband and I were sitting at a brewery when the guy next to us starting telling his friend about how his mother has a scrapbook room filled with scrapbook supplies.  He said that she goes into the room, stays all day, and then comes out with only one page completed.  The other guy says, "Don't you just need a glue stick and a pair of scissors?" 

The whole conversation was hilarious, with the son jokingly saying that he wonders if she's doing something nefarious in there.  He also mentioned that she goes to conventions for scrapbookers.  I was ready to ask for her number because she sounds like she'd make a great friend.

This conversation got me thinking, so I went back and looked at my first scrapbook that I ever made, and indeed, all I needed was a glue stick and scissors.  What were your first pages like and do you enjoy going back through your early albums?

• LisaDV, ladyofthelake318, craftymeggy and 1 other like this

#2 craftymeggy

craftymeggy

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, reading, sewing, crafting

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

My first albums were definitely like that! No layering or embellishing at all!! I did use those old shape stencils and cut out my photos sometimes, but usually just glue and scissors. I like going back and looking because I remember how far Ive come. I also love the photos. I started when I was a teenager so it's usually photos of friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • LisaDV, ladyofthelake318 and CABoyle like this

#3 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

ugh.......my first pages were paper, made with scissors and glue. Soon after I switched to digi. They were pretty simple too. 

• LisaDV, craftymeggy and CABoyle like this

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#4 Gramma Dee

Gramma Dee

knows where the cookies are

• REGISTERED
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

My first pages were pretty flat.  Based on those CM cs pages.  I used stickers and I drew and fussy cut alot of my elements.  All the scrapbooking stuff i owned fit into one 10" by 14" four drawer plastic rolling cart.

My first tools--other than my fancy and ordinary scisssors and my paper cutter were a CM cutting system with circles and ovals.

Could not find a glue that actually stuck things down and didn't ruin the photos.  Was ecstatic when I discovered 3-ring binders and page protectors and could use BRADS to nail everything down!

I want to meet that young guy's mom too.  She sounds like my kind of people!

calvinball.gifphoto-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346bilde_1.jpeg

#5 mroberts3

mroberts3

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

I only started scrapbooking a few years ago, but started collecting "stuff" right away, so much so that within 4 months of starting, I had a room! My first album was a different style than I do now because I keep "evolving" and trying new things. It's such a wonderful creative outlet.

• LisaDV, craftymeggy, Jill momma2ski and 1 other like this

calvinball.gif

#6 jumpgate

jumpgate

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Disneyphile, Sci Fi Fanatic, History buff (and teacher), Book lover

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hey I used my CM circle system yesterday!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#7 Gramma Dee

Gramma Dee

• REGISTERED
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

Hey I used my CM circle system yesterday!

And I still use mine all the time!  Now if everything worked that well!

• LisaDV and CABoyle like this

calvinball.gifphoto-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346bilde_1.jpeg

#8 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,800 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

we are like aliens to the uninitiated.

• LisaDV, Jill momma2ski and CABoyle like this

#9 gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind

• REGISTERED
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Memory Keeper.Reader of Books.Homemaker.Zentangle Artist.Amateur Photographer.Follower of Christ.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Bwahahaha! What a great story!

My first page was a paper layout. It was 8.5x11 and it was hideous. Paper. Green and pink. Deckle edge cutouts. **shudder** LOL Not really. It was what was available and I was being as creative as I knew how to be at that time. We all have to start somewhere! I don't have a photo of it, but I do have my first digi layout. It was much simpler than the layouts I make today. Here's to evolving! hee hee

My first digi layout:

Daniel-Surgery-8-06-Faith-S.jpg

My latest digi layout:

gallery_11352_466_32348.jpg

• LisaDV and CABoyle like this

Cheryl Ashcraft

Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

calvinball.gif post-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#10 LisaDV

LisaDV

• REGISTERED
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

First layouts were mainly cardstock with limited pattern paper. I created most of my page elements (banners & such). They had the story and the photos that were important to me so I still love them. Then I got into the pretty but no story phase. I like that they're pretty, but I need more of the story. I cringe while looking at pages on online galleries or FB that have no journaling. That's ok every once in a while, but I want a majority of my pages to have a story. So for me it's that middle section of scrapbooking that I cringe the most at.

• CABoyle likes this

calvinball.gif

#11 Katiecb

Katiecb

• REGISTERED
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Whenever someone tells me they would like to scrapbook, but don't know where to start, I tell them they just need paper, a pen, and something to stick stuff down with. I usually get strange looks back, so maybe I'm answering the wrong question. LOL 

My scrapbooking style has not changed that much over the years. I've always been a background-is-important-for-context sort of scrapbooker, and have never done any extreme cropping of my photos. I don't like to spend a lot of time making and modifying elements, so my pages are simple in design and content. My digital pages are slightly more complex than my paper pages only because so many elements are digitally pre-made and I don't have to create them on my own. 

It's not that I haven't learned or grown as a scrapbooker; I have tried many techniques and styles and have rejected most of them, for various reasons. I think they influence what I do now, but there is no dramatic visual difference between my early pages and my (relatively) recent ones. 

Over all these years, paper and digital, I have a mix of layouts that I still love, and ones that I wish I'd spent a little more time with -- it's not limited to just the early ones!

• CABoyle likes this

~ Katie ~

SmileTag_200.jpg   calvinball.gif

#12 CABoyle

CABoyle

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

My daughter received a gift of scrapbooking supplies from an aunt back in 2005 and we created a few pages together.  This is how my obsession started.  I didn't have much back then, so I used things that I found around the house.  One of my first pages was made from bits of colored tissue paper glued to white cardstock to create a background.  When I look at my pages, I see the untold story of my crafting journey. (Sounds corny, I know, but I couldn't think of a different way to phrase this.)  I can see when I first got my Cricut and my titles were no longer hand cut, and when I was introduced to stamping, and the time period when I would watch the videos from Two Peas and mimic their style.  It brings back great memories.  

• LisaDV and Carmen McMaster like this

#13 Carmen McMaster

Carmen McMaster

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

Last night my 3 boys got out literally every scrapbook I have made and looked through them all on the kitchen table.  We have a large table and it was piled 3 or more deep. It was fun for me to watch them.  I haven't even thought about scrapbooking for months but it made me think about how important it is to everyone in my family that I keep doing it. 

It's a Boy

this is one of my first pages.  I still like it.  most of my first pages were some what scrap lifted from magazines.  my style has changed but I still like it.

• gonewiththewind and CABoyle like this

calvinball.gif

#14 MelPea

MelPea

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

My first pages have photos cut into shapes and floating stickers, LOL!   They're over 20 years old now.  At least I know the adhesive is still going strong, even if it was just a glue stick.   :)

• CABoyle likes this

calvinball.gif

#15 jumpgate

jumpgate

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Disneyphile, Sci Fi Fanatic, History buff (and teacher), Book lover

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Sticker sneeze and photo realistic papers uh huh

• CABoyle likes this

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#16 toribissell

toribissell

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

My first few pages were way over embellished and crazy...  I think I'm a bit more refined now.

• CABoyle likes this

#17 kscraps1

kscraps1

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

My first pages were all double pages with lots of photos and stickers--not much patterned paper yet. I do love looking back on them even though my pages look totally different these days. I can remember how fun it was learning a new craft and I love reading my journaling from so long ago.

• ladyofthelake318 and CABoyle like this

Kelly S

#18 ladyofthelake318

ladyofthelake318

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, duh; reading, mostly murder mysteries; theater; gardening; genealogy; movies; and stuff.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

I don't even think we had patterned paper when I first started.  Lots of solids, those funky scissors, and sticker sneeze.  And then some stores started carrying patterned paper -- a lot of it 8.5 x 11.  And the CM strap-hinge  (I hated those -- always too me an hour and a half to get them back together).  Scrapbooking has come a long way -- and so have I!  

• CABoyle likes this

Andrea

aka Ladyofthelake318

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb.jcalvinball.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Calvinball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users