• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 doris sander

doris sander

repeating stories

• Teachers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

not imply that anyone here is a dummy, far from it! but there are those yellow how to books, so . . .

and i probably should have posted this last week, but no time, no time!  at least we'll have it for next year, right?

some of you might be feeling a little overwhelmed/confused at this point.

here is the way i approach calvinball:

first off, the two main points to calvinball are to have fun and be productive.  keep that foremost in your mind while deciding how to play.

which leads to the second thing.  you have to decide for yourself how to play.  the rules are elastic.  that is the essence of calvinball.  there are no prizes, there's no declared winner.  there are only bragging rights and friendly banter.  and fun!  so if it's not fun or friendly, move on.

i am not a purist like celeste.  i do like to earn a few bonus points.  my personal ratio is to try and keep my "real i actually made something" points to at least 33% of my total points (usually i end up at just 25%, but it's good to have goals).  second i focus on the publicity and team building points.  i think it's important to support debbie's site in any way i can and i think it's important to build up my fellow scrapbookers.  then i have fun with the challenge points.  i don't try to get every single point possible for every layout.  once or twice i may try to deliberately create a layout that gets me an obscene amount of points because that is fun.  it's not fun every single time though.  then it becomes work without a purpose because i'm not actually producing much of anything and it's tedious.  i tend to use the challenges as prompts, going in and grabbing a new one that appeals to me and using that as a starting point for my next project.  i might use something like the st. patrick's day theme more than once because it appeals to me this time of year and helps me get projects done that i want to do this time of year.  i wouldn't generally use the handwriting rule on every layout i make because i use my own handwriting on every layout i make and that's kinda boring to me.  but then, this is just how i view the game.  some ideas for you to ponder.  make your game stretch as you will.

here is how i keep up with my own points.  i basically just keep adding new bonus points to the bottom as i use them.  everyone comes up with their own format, but if you're new to the game, i have found that this works for me:

***note: this is our first time doing a leaderboard and it is VERY helpful if you keep a running tally of your GRAND TOTAL and your SCRAPPY POINTS at the very top of your stats post.***

GRAND TOTAL: 22.5

scrappy points: 7.5

layouts - 1

pocket pages - 1

mini-album pages - 0

art journal pages - 0

mini art journal pages - 0

decorated planner pages - 1.5

cards/tags - 4

craft projects - 0

publicity points: 4

blog - 1

instagram - 1

facebook - 1

twitter - 1

pinterest - 0

bonus points: 11

podcasts - 2

return player - 1

blinkie - 1

st. patrick's day motif - 2

companion page - 1

3+ photos - 1

blog post for journaling - 1

scrap food - 1

3+ pages from kit - 1

a note on adding rules:  anyone can suggest rules.  most are added.  negative points are never written into the rules.  multiple points for one thing are rarely (go ahead and read never) added.  generally it's one point per.  it's just simpler that way.

once you've played for the first time, it is fun to try to beat your own record the next year.

this is all i can think of to help you in your enjoyment of the game.  if you have any questions, please ask!  play on!  :)

• midwestgirl, qsbarr, Christy Strickler and 4 others like this

calvinball2.gif

#2 sal4gal

sal4gal

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 561 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Digi Scrappping, Camping (I could live in our trailer), Books on tape (Audible), Amateur Astronomy with hubby, flying RC Airplanes (with hubby)

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Doris, I love your post!

I am dropping out without even starting. I am focusing on tutorials, I have been watching or listening to Scrapbook Coach tutorials today and other PS scrapbooking tutorials this week.

Sallie

#3 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Sallie-you can be the head cheerleader!!

• sal4gal likes this

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#4 gabmc

gabmc

Trying to be good

• REGISTERED
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

That's great, thanks Doris. I want to play but was letting myself become overwhelmed!

Gab

Scrap your Events, Everyday Life, Travel, Yourself, Page Parts Challenge, Back to Class, Digital Templates, Art Journaling 101, Souvenirs of the Season, Sense and Sensibility, Embellishments Beautifully Handmade, Product Pizzazz 101 and 102, Art Journaling 102, Scraproom with a View, Beginner and Intermediate Photo Editing, Your Life through the lens, Oodles of Doodles Alumni

calvinball2.gif
GIS_120_0210.gif

#5 midwestgirl

midwestgirl

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Playing Piano, Knitting, The Ohio State Buckeyes

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Thanks, Doris. I am basically just doing my regular scrapping and then seeing if I can get some points or suggest some rules so I can get more points. Calvin ball is definitely not driving my scrapping, but it is making it more fun! I feel like I'm at a big month-long crop with my online scrapping friends.

I'd like to see this happen more than once a year, like LOAD is run periodically. I think the community building and publicity is well worth it. More people might join if we didn't wait an entire year to run it again! How about fall?

• jen4700 and Carmen McMaster like this
Sue
Blog
Instagram
Pinterest

#6 Katiecb

Katiecb

knows where the cookies are

• REGISTERED
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

As a newbie, I think this post is fantastic! Thanks! 

A long time ago, I used to belong to a community that had a lot of member hosted challenges and it was fun to try to use two or three challenges on a single layout. I find I enjoy that sort or planning rather than just following along with a single challenge. So I'm excited by the idea of getting to mix and match challenges to make layouts again. (That is what I am hoping to get out of Calvinball as a way to kick-start my scrapbooking again.)

I don't understand what the publicity points are -- are they for posting layouts/projects or are they for just mentioning/linking Calvinball? What goes on Pinterest? 

~ Katie ~

SmileTag_200.jpg   calvinball.gif

#7 doris sander

doris sander

repeating stories

• Teachers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

i agree, sue.  i enjoy the chatting and such.  october would be another good month for me.  fall break, you know.  ;)

katie - publicity points are for mentioning calvinball on the various social media spots you frequent.  for example, i blog regularly, so once a week i do a post about my calvinball escapades and link back to get it scrapped.  these posts go automatically to my twitter and facebook feeds, so i get a triple play there.  ;)  then i'll be sure to mention calvinball once a week on instagram.  for pinterest, i'm just going to post one of my layouts and link it back to get it scrapped somehow.  it's just fun to get the word out so we get more recruits.  you can do this however you want.  i tend to, as you say, post a layout and then link back to calvinball.  sometimes i will find fun calvin and hobbes images and do the same.

• midwestgirl, mshanhun and Katiecb like this

calvinball2.gif

#8 Carmen McMaster

Carmen McMaster

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

So what are the rules for posting layouts for Calvinball? do all have to be posted in the Calvinball gallery or can we put links somewhere? what is the file size limit for posting layout ?and does anyone have an easy way (script or action) to meet the requirements? I usually post all my layouts on flickr at full res, original size, but I know this takes up a lot of space.

calvinball.gif

#9 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,794 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

So what are the rules for posting layouts for Calvinball? do all have to be posted in the Calvinball gallery or can we put links somewhere? what is the file size limit for posting layout ?and does anyone have an easy way (script or action) to meet the requirements? I usually post all my layouts on flickr at full res, original size, but I know this takes up a lot of space.

Hi, Carmen, Everything is on the honor system--it's your competition in many ways, so you can put your layouts wherever you want -- or don't put them anywhere. We don't need to you to link it up. 

Size your layouts to 72ppi and less than or equal to 1600 px wide. You can write a quick action to do it.

• mshanhun likes this

#10 toribissell

toribissell

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

What kind of prep is allowed before hand? Like I noticed that some people (cough cough Celiste) must have made like 8-9 layouts a day!  

Like can I print off photos, jut notes on a post it, prep page kits?

#11 KatieScott

KatieScott

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrapbooking, Picture Taking, Story Telling, Scrapbook Improv-ing, Blogging, Bikram Yoga Practicing, Kayaking, Theme Parking 40 something Mom and Wife who's a Lawyer by Day and a Scrapbooker by Night!

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

You can prep or not prep - it is totally up to you.  I think the layouts need to be completed during the month of Calvinball - but you can get photos and page kits ready to go - Celeste does that digitally and I've been trying to get together paper page kits along with photos and journaling which I will do ahead of time.  The rules are very loose.

• DebbieHodge, mshanhun and Missus Wookie like this

#12 MrsPeel

MrsPeel

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm excited and at the same time still not sure about some stuff, but I think I got the general..... I will give it a go as much as I can...and am thinking some of it will be paper.....I hope to be able to play all month!!!!

#13 filoma

filoma

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy shopping, reading, watching TV, watching craft videos on YouTube, scrapbooking, card making, art journalling and OTP projects.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

This sounds very interesting and I've been trying to read up on it to understand what is involved. I think I now know, but not completely sure. My take is that we aim to make as many layouts as we can during the month and anyone can throw in a rule along the way. I do want to do more scrapping so this may be a good opportunity to give my first challenge ago. Appreciate the basics being explained.
  • DebbieHodge likes this

Email: filoma70@gmail.com

Blog:  FiLoMa's Craft World

YouTube:  Fiona Maxwell

#14 TinaCampbell

TinaCampbell

• REGISTERED
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, Cardmaking, Project Life, Smashbook, Genealogy, Birdwatching, Weekend Getaways

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi, Carmen, Everything is on the honor system--it's your competition in many ways, so you can put your layouts wherever you want -- or don't put them anywhere. We don't need to you to link it up. 

Size your layouts to 72ppi and less than or equal to 1600 px wide. You can write a quick action to do it.

That is cool to know :) That way I can post on my blog the layouts I do and hopefully that generates some new members too and then I don't have to worry about my layout being uploaded here at the gallery or not :) Thank you Debbie for that information

Tina :) 

Tina's Scrap Corner, my blog

Lasting Memories, design team member

Jo's Scrap Shack, design team member

calvinball.gif

#15 mosbaskets

mosbaskets

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:33 PM

I am going to try this to keep me going after LOAD. I am hoping to finish a project and this will definitely help. I routinely post my layouts to Instagram (& Facebook & Twitter from there). Is there a good hashtag or account to tag in those posts. I am assuming #calvinball, just wondering what else to include.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

• TinaCampbell likes this

#16 mosbaskets

mosbaskets

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Quick question, how do I sign up? I am a member, is there another fee? I am late to the party but was so successful with LOAD that I want to continue and this seems like a good way to do that.

Thanks

#17 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,794 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Quick question, how do I sign up? I am a member, is there another fee? I am late to the party but was so successful with LOAD that I want to continue and this seems like a good way to do that.

Thanks

No fee.  Just make sure you've added ONE post to this thread: http://www.debbiehod...showtopic=10770

Then as you make pages go to your post there and EDIT it to add your points. You can put your layouts in the CalvinBall album in the gallery here if you want.

#18 TinaCampbell

TinaCampbell

• REGISTERED
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, Cardmaking, Project Life, Smashbook, Genealogy, Birdwatching, Weekend Getaways

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

I am going to try this to keep me going after LOAD. I am hoping to finish a project and this will definitely help. I routinely post my layouts to Instagram (& Facebook & Twitter from there). Is there a good hashtag or account to tag in those posts. I am assuming #calvinball, just wondering what else to include.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

I doing LOAD too and thinking that this continuation would be good maybe get a habit started :)

• mosbaskets likes this

Tina :) 

Tina's Scrap Corner, my blog

Lasting Memories, design team member

Jo's Scrap Shack, design team member

calvinball.gif

#19 achristian

achristian

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:34 PM

Is there normally only 1 Calvin Ball event a year?

#20 mshanhun

mshanhun

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:19 AM

Is there normally only 1 Calvin Ball event a year?

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melissa Shanhun
Digital Scrapbooking HQ

calvinball%2Blogo%2Bmichelle%2B200px%2Bwcalvinball2.gifpost-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users