CALVINBALL 2017 | The Rules

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#81 jumpgate

jumpgate

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Disneyphile, Sci Fi Fanatic, History buff (and teacher), Book lover

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Please clarify "any shape at least once"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • craftymeggy likes this

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#82 Skippydoo

Skippydoo

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Disney Parks, Sci Fi, scrapbooking, art journaling, travelers notebooks,

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

How about a point for using a frame?

And banner/flag shapes?

• craftymeggy likes this

calvinball.gif post-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#83 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, Photography, RV-Camping.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Please clarify "any shape at least once"?

yes, i agree, everyone would get a point on each layout as everything is a shape????

• craftymeggy and MelPea like this

calvinball.gifpost-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb.j

#84 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

sure wish we could get a point or even a .5 point for posted a project to the gallery... some of us are not so techy and taking pics, sending them to ourselves, resizing & then getting them in the gallery takes longer than making a layout!

I second that emotion!

• LisaDV, Jill momma2ski, MelPea and 1 other like this

#85 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

You can only use one rule per element. Thanks for asking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off to recount, I may have counted something twice and I don't want to cheat.  Like I use scraps to punch with so I probably counted used scraps and used punch as well.  

• craftymeggy likes this

#86 jumpgate

jumpgate

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

I think there's some flexibility there... if a photo is me and my spouse and taken by someone else ... I would count all three lol but I wouldn't count a star shaped enamel as both enamel dots and stars... if the camera is printed in the pattern of my 3+ patterns of patterned paper, I'd take both of those.

• mawscrap8 likes this

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#87 jumpgate

jumpgate

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

And ummm why don't you want to cheat? Do you even Calvinball, Bro?

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#88 jumpgate

jumpgate

• REGISTERED
  • 165 posts

Mama of 3 sons.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

+1 use glitter or a glittered element

• craftymeggy likes this

Merrick

calvinball.gif

#89 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

And ummm why don't you want to cheat? Do you even Calvinball, Bro?

I think something terrible will happen if I break a rule.....

• craftymeggy, Jill momma2ski and CABoyle like this

#90 carolynhasacat

carolynhasacat

• REGISTERED
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

sure wish we could get a point or even a .5 point for posted a project to the gallery... some of us are not so techy and taking pics, sending them to ourselves, resizing & then getting them in the gallery takes longer than making a layout!

I agree, I'd like a point for posting a LO or project in the gallery. Getting the photo of the LO is tricky, then doing all the steps to get it posted takes so much time. Half a point for digital projects since they get to skip the "get a photo of the project" step.

• Jill momma2ski, CABoyle and MelPea like this

calvinball.gif

#91 Jill momma2ski

Jill momma2ski

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, paper crafting, reading, & surviving!!

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

I think something terrible will happen if I break a rule.....

obviously you and I went to the same school of MUST play by the rules, and this whole rules can change thing is foreign... it's a disease I tell ya....

• LisaDV, craftymeggy, CABoyle and 1 other like this

#92 snapsandsnippets

snapsandsnippets

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, cardmaking, reading, decorating

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

Have we included cork paper or elements yet?

More than 3 types of washi tape?

How about points for sketching out layouts away from home?

How about a point for suggesting rules?

• craftymeggy likes this

Susanne

Snaps & Snippets, my blog (on hiatus for who knows how long)

Snaps & Snippets on Facebook

Counterfeit Kit Challenge, design team member

photo-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346

#93 mawscrap8

mawscrap8

• REGISTERED
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Pages & cards & canvas & journaling & planning

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

Question: Is the "rule" about applying rules on a daily basis or weekly basis?  In some comments I see that as long as the rules are in place when it a day to post stats (10th,17th,24th,31st), anything you are tallying on that day can use points from those rules.  No going back once they're posted on those dates.  However I've also been told it's on a daily basis -- i.e. if you post a layout before the "on a slant" rule comes out, you can't go back and give it a point for being slanty.  

• craftymeggy likes this

Kathy McElfresh

#94 Jill momma2ski

Jill momma2ski

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, paper crafting, reading, & surviving!!

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Question: Is the "rule" about applying rules on a daily basis or weekly basis?  In some comments I see that as long as the rules are in place when it a day to post stats (10th,17th,24th,31st), anything you are tallying on that day can use points from those rules.  No going back once they're posted on those dates.  However I've also been told it's on a daily basis -- i.e. if you post a layout before the "on a slant" rule comes out, you can't go back and give it a point for being slanty.  

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, however, I log points for whatever rules are in play and posted at the time that I add that project to my stats sheet.  I was under the impression that once a project had been logged you can not go back and adjust points with rules that are added at a later time, although it is Calvinball so who knows???

• craftymeggy, MelPea and mawscrap8 like this

#95 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

I always thought this was the case and this is how I have applied it.  We shall see once admin responds.

• craftymeggy, Jill momma2ski and mawscrap8 like this

#96 toribissell

toribissell

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

1. Scrapbook about someone who has passed away. 

2. Make a layout, card, pl page with no embellishments. 

3. Make a layout without a title

4. Make a page/card/pl page with ONLY patterned paper - no cardstock.

• craftymeggy likes this

#97 kscraps1

kscraps1

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

You've got it right--the rule applies on a daily basis. You can count points on a page/project/card for whatever rules are in play as of that day. But you can't go back and add points to it when new rules come out--only on projects going forward. Does that answer your question? I hope my explanation makes sense!  :razz:

• craftymeggy, Jill momma2ski and MelPea like this

Kelly S

#98 Maribeth

Maribeth

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

You've got it right--the rule applies on a daily basis. You can count points on a page/project/card for whatever rules are in play as of that day. But you can't go back and add points to it when new rules come out--only on projects going forward. Does that answer your question? I hope my explanation makes sense!  :razz:

Well since we don't date the rules that is kind of difficult since while we are scrapping we may not be able to take the time to add up our rules that day - does anyone have the information of what rules were in place on what day?  I have my work by date, but don't know which rules were in place when.  Thank you.

If there is now way to track dates the rules were added, I will go back and assume the rule valid on the date the original poster suggested the rule.  That would be my best guess???????

• mawscrap8 likes this

#99 Gramma Dee

Gramma Dee

knows where the cookies are

• REGISTERED
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

I am posting and tallying up daily, so often the rules of that day are confirmed after I have posted and counted points.  But that is okay.  I am happier creating than counting and recounting. 

I DID (tongue in cheek) suggest on another board that we be given a ONE-TIME-ONLY chance at some point to go back over all our projects and add in points that were not allowed at the time of posting.  But the more I think about it the more I don't want to go there:  just too much spreadsheet thinking for me!

I guess if you want maximum points, you could wait until the deadline to post &/or count your points.  Then every rule posted until that date would apply to your projects.

• craftymeggy, Jill momma2ski and mawscrap8 like this

calvinball.gifphoto-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346bilde_1.jpeg

#100 MelPea

MelPea

• REGISTERED
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

I think there's some flexibility there... if a photo is me and my spouse and taken by someone else ... I would count all three lol but I wouldn't count a star shaped enamel as both enamel dots and stars... if the camera is printed in the pattern of my 3+ patterns of patterned paper, I'd take both of those.

Hmmm.  Well, based on the answer my question received I would say that I will opt to only count any of those elements as one thing.   :)   I'm way too much of a rule follower.   :D   

However, once I tried to actually figure points, I did realize exactly what you were saying!  :)   Some of the rules are almost impossible to use if you don't use one element for more than one rule.  Like the rule about using 15+ elements on a page.   In order to use that rule, and not overlap rules, you'd have to give up any rules that worked for the individual elements on their own.   And I wouldn't want to give up a possible 15 pts. just to get that one.   :)    Same with the 3 or more patterned papers.  If one paper is pre-2010, and one is green, and one is a scrap, you'd have to forfeit one of those points to get the pt. for 3+ papers, which would be pointless (pardon the pun!  :D  ).

But I do have two more questions.  Sorry, I'm new at this!!    :)    
In regards to the team-building points...do you get those as often as you fulfill the requirement?  So if you comment 10 times on blogs you would get 2 pts.?

**Also, if the bonus points say do this or that "on a LO" or "on a page", can you still take that point for a card, tag, or other project?  (This one I really need to know because my goals involve more cards than layouts.  :)  )**

Thanks so much for all of the clarification.  I want to start counting my points so far and I don't want to mess up.   :)

• craftymeggy and Jill momma2ski like this

calvinball.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users