Photo

DNA Testing

12 replies to this topic

#1 sal4gal

sal4gal

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Digi Scrappping, Camping, Books on tape (Audible), Amateur Star and Solar Astronomy with hubby.

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I love genealogy and would love to take a DNA test but I am so confused, there are so many to choose from and I have read many reviews. I keep procrastinating because I can't decide.

I hope that Katie will chime in here with all of her knowledge. It seems like the Ancestry test is losing fans and FamilyTree DNA is popular right now.  FamilyTree has many choices but are their expensive packages worth the big bucks?

Can the results be easily integrated into genealogy sites like Ancestry or FamilySearch?

Sigh . . . what to do, haha.

Sallie

#2 LeslieM

LeslieM

doesn't bother to knock

• REGISTERED
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have everyone take the Ancestry test.  It is an autosomal DNA test which is fairly accurate about 6 generations back.  You can see how you match up with other people. You can download your autosomal DNA data to your computer and upload them to FtDNA.  FtDNA is nice because they will give you actual email addresses to contact matches, whereas Ancestry makes you use their internal messaging system to contact matches.  I always provide my email address when I contact a match on Ancestry.  That way we can take the conversation outside of Ancestry's internal messaging which only works as long as you have a paid membership.  Many people sign up for the free trial and drop Ancestry when it starts costing them.  My tree is public and I always attach the results to the person so you can actually see what GGG-grandparent you share.  Some people on Ancestry don't attach their results to their tree so you can't tell exactly how they are related. 

FtDNA also has the MtDNA (mitochondrial test) for the female side.  I've administered a few of those.  I've administered one Y DNA test and will administer another one soon.  That provides matches on the male side.  I've not had a chance to play around with those tests much yet.  (too many hobbies, too little time).

For the most bang for your buck get the autosomal test from Ancestry, upload your results to FtDNA and pay the $39 to unlock all your matches.  You can download FtDNA results to an excel spreadsheet.  I put all my excel spreadsheets into one master workbook so I can search the entire workbook for matches.  

I get a much higher response rate from email messages that I do Ancestry internal messaging and imo it's because a lot of people don't hang around Ancestry once it costs money or their initial curiousity is satisfied.

You can also upload your Ancestry to Gedmatch, which is free and has additional analysis tools. 

I don't think familysearch.org has any capacity to handle DNA but I haven't been there in a  while.

You cannot upload FtDNA to Ancestry DNA but you can download your Ancestry autosomal DNA and put it on FtDNA.  I don't know how much good the few MtDNA and Y DNA tests will do eventually but I'm trying to get some of them while the relatives are still alive.  I took the MtDNA test and my sisters, mom, aunt and uncle don't have to because they would have the same MtDNA (mother's mother's mother's mother's........).  We do have different autosomal DNA tests (which show we're all 100% related as we should be!) because everyone inherits different autosomal DNA from their parents. 

I've learned this over the past 3 years of fiddling around with DNA tests and I still have a whole bunch to learn.   :)

It's fun!

Leslie

• DebbieHodge, catebie and sal4gal like this

#3 sal4gal

sal4gal

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Digi Scrappping, Camping, Books on tape (Audible), Amateur Star and Solar Astronomy with hubby.

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

Leslie, WOW! Thanks for all of the information . . . your response is like a mini DNA class. You provided a wealth of tips. I ordered the Ancestry DNA kit . . . now I will have to wait for the kit to arrive and then the results. It is so hard to wait :)

#4 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'll second that WOW to Leslie.

• sal4gal likes this

#5 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

ditto! WOW Leslie, you are the DNA queen!!

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#6 LynnG

LynnG

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for that! I am trying to use DNA to identify the real identity of my gt-grandfather (he went by different names, apparently all false). My mother and her cousin would really love to know and the clock is ticking so to speak!

I have their DNA at 23andme, plus my own at Ancestry. Unfortunately when I tried to upload to ftdna and use the $39 to unlock option, it wouldn't accept the 23andme because it wasn't the right version and there is some problem with adding Ancestry as well. So tapping my fingers impatiently at the moment :-)

I have narrowed down the snippets of DNA they both inherited from either their grandfather or his wife and identified the small number of people at Gedmatch who share those snippets ... but none of them responded to my emails :-(

(Maybe says something about those genes LOL) ;-)

• sal4gal likes this

#7 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, podcasting, art, photography, travel, knitting, reading, design, sustainability, anthropology

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

I've done Ancestry and 23andme. You'll have fun whatever you choose. I need to go through my links. So far, only expected links. I need some Native American links and Scottish and Belgian ones to help me research those lines. One of these days, when school is less of an obsession, I'll need to work more on genealogy again.
  • sal4gal likes this

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb_zcalvinball_zpsqay1lvvv.gifclickheresmall_zpsu4msbetn.jpg

#8 mshanhun

mshanhun

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:58 PM

I have narrowed down the snippets of DNA they both inherited from either their grandfather or his wife and identified the small number of people at Gedmatch who share those snippets ... but none of them responded to my emails :-(

(Maybe says something about those genes LOL) ;-)

Yes... genes that make people want to stay anonymous... LOL

• LynnG and sal4gal like this

Melissa Shanhun
Digital Scrapbooking HQ

calvinball%2Blogo%2Bmichelle%2B200px%2Bwcalvinball2.gifpost-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#9 pharmgirl

pharmgirl

big ... no huge ... fan of GIS

• REGISTERED
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:photography, gardening, nature walks, and scrapbooking of course

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

I was just thinking about doing this.  Thank you Leslie for you information and everyone else who responded!

#10 LeslieM

LeslieM

doesn't bother to knock

• REGISTERED
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Yes, I saw Family Tree DNA is not accepting Ancestry uploads at this time due to the way Ancestry changed their testing.  Darn!  I hope they get that figured out soon so I can upload the 2 most recent Ancestry DNA tests I administered (my husband's siblings)  I already have my husband and 2 other siblings uploaded to Family Tree DNA from earlier tests.   Last month  tested my dad's 94 year old 1st cousin with Ancestry plus the Family Tree DNA Y testing package.  In June I tested my husband's 98 year old aunt with Ancestry and the Family Tree DNA mitochondrial test package.  Expensive, but I can't take for granted they will be around too much longer.  

I've made a few breakthroughs with the DNA testing.  My husband's mom was a Wilson.  I kid him they crawled out of the backwoods of Alabama without leaving a trail.  Ancestry DNA testing  uploaded to Family Tree DNA  has led to a correspondence with another Wilson researcher who had also come to a brick wall with the Wilsons.  We have managed to figure out my husband's great-grandfather and the other researcher's great-grandmother were Wilson 1st cousins.  We can place them in the same tiny town in Alabama in 1860.  We *think* we know who their fathers were (they would be brothers).  But we have no clue farther than that. 

• LynnG likes this

#11 LynnG

LynnG

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Yes, I got caught by FTDNA not accepting Ancestry too. Was a bit annoying.

But I am quietly confident that, through the DNA, I may have solved our family mystery. For decades relatives have been trying to find out who my great-grandfather really was. And it seems he was the son of a solicitor who must have run away in his mid-teens, changed his name and become a labourer before changing it back to his original name when he married. Have wondered for years if the son of the solicitor in the birth records WAS him (unlikely as it sounded given his working class life) but in the absence of any official records we had no way of proving it. But the DNA seems to show I am closely related to that family. What is particularly interesting is the life trajectories of his brothers and the professions of his nephews and nieces are so familiar to me from the somewhat 'complicated' people on that side of the family (and my own kids!)

#12 LeslieM

LeslieM

doesn't bother to knock

• REGISTERED
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Family Tree DNA is running one of their periodic sales.  Right now the autosomal test is $69, which is only $30 more than their usual fee to unlock Ancestry autosomal uploads.  Ancestry DNA has periodic sales too.  If you get on both sites mailing lists you'll find out about sales.  Ancestry DNA sometimes goes down to $79.

#13 KatieScott

KatieScott

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrapbooking, Picture Taking, Story Telling, Scrapbook Improv-ing, Blogging, Bikram Yoga Practicing, Kayaking, Theme Parking 40 something Mom and Wife who's a Lawyer by Day and a Scrapbooker by Night!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yay for the answer from Leslie.

I will say that I'm happy with Ancestry - I know it isn't perfect but it has helped me fill out my family tree and find so many stories.

I guess if I wasn't going to go with Ancestry, I might ask Lisa Louise Cooke who has a genealogy podcast called "Genealogy Gems" and she also podcasts for Family Tree Magazine. 

Or I'd ask Wendy Smedley - formerly of Simple Scrapbooks & Big Picture Classes - I think she's working in the genealogy world now.

But again, for me, I'm not trying to be a perfect genealogist - I'm just trying to find interesting stories and connections in my family history - and I'm super happy with Ancestry.

I'd also recommend - whatever you choose - get the oldest people in your family to do this the soonest.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users