Empty Nesters!

7 replies to this topic

#1 LeslieM

LeslieM

doesn't bother to knock

• REGISTERED
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Wow, what to do with ourselves?  haha   My husband and I have raised 5 children and 1 nephew and launched them all from the nest over the past 10 years.  We live in the midwest.  Our oldest just moved to NYC so of course we are going to visit him in September.  The next 2 children live in Denver and we have visited them a time or two.  The nephew is also in Colorado.  Our two youngest are at University of Illinois (2 hours away).  We moved our baby in yesterday.  3 years ago my mom had brain cancer surgery and whole brain radiation so the past 3 years involved me nursing her and taking over more and more of her affairs as the radiation affected her.  She fought the loss of her independence tooth and nail and it wasn't always easy.  She's now comfortably living in a care facility (wheelchair bound, eating assist) and is not mad at the family any longer for placing her in this safe place (she had no intentions of leaving her home!)  

My husband is retired and I guess I am too now that the kids and mom are settled!  My plans: organize my office and photos, get more albums put together, start writing the family history with info I've learned through my genealogy research, go through the boxes of family history I inherited from my mom and grandparents when we closed down mom's house---focus, focus, focus!  By the end of the year I want to have all my mom and dad's letters scanned (they wrote hundreds of letters while dad was overseas in the Army 1955-1957).  I'd also like to get a Christmas album together for each of the kids.  We have 29 years of photo Christmas cards and about 25 years of Christmas letters.  I also want to get a working family keepsake album started.  I have a lot of things passed down from ancestors and need to record their stories.

Leslie

• Missus Wookie likes this

#2 JennMcCabe

JennMcCabe

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Sorry to hear of the difficult time you wen through with your mom. It is hard to put someone you love in a facility, I know. I"m happy to hear that she is OK with it because when they resent the decision it does make it so very difficult for the family. Hugs to all that! 

It sounds like although you now have an empty nest, you have lots of projects (and a clear timeline) to keep you very busy. Your parent's letters sound amazing ... what a special project! I hope as you build some of these albums you share some pages! It all sounds so lovely! Enjoy the process! :) 

#3 LynnG

LynnG

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

I love your attitude to this and the exciting projects you have planned. You deserve it! Enjoy :-)

#4 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:06 AM

Leslie--you sure have a lot planned!! Documenting the family stories is going to be fun and exciting. I'm looking to do the same thing when I retire!  Enjoy! 

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#5 snapsandsnippets

snapsandsnippets

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, cardmaking, reading, decorating

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

It sounds like you have been busy, and will continue to be even in an empty nest.  Just don't forget to take a little time to enjoy being home on your own with your other half.  You deserve some time off too.

Susanne

Snaps & Snippets, my blog (on hiatus for who knows how long)

Snaps & Snippets on Facebook

Counterfeit Kit Challenge, design team member

photo-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346

#6 Missus Wookie

Missus Wookie

telling stories

• REGISTERED
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, stories, gardening, walking, laughing with friends.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

What a wonderful set of plans and projects. So thankful you were able to find somewhere for your Mom, it's something we're just starting to think about here so I'm glad to hear of a good result.

#7 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, podcasting, art, photography, travel, knitting, reading, design, sustainability, anthropology

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Great plans. Just remember that in retirement we often say, "How did I ever find time to work?" Time does rush by. Glad your family is settled.

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb_zcalvinball_zpsqay1lvvv.gifclickheresmall_zpsu4msbetn.jpg

#8 carollee

carollee

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:43 PM

Sounds like you'll be busy during retirement but what a new phase of your lives.  Empty nesters hey!  Heck you can dance around the house naked now - make sure you draw the curtains though :dance:

Carol

My GIS gallery

My blog:  Finding Carol

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users