Photo

Husband having emergency surgery tomorrow

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, podcasting, art, photography, travel, knitting, reading, design, sustainability, anthropology

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

Just got back home after spending most of the day at the hospital. I cannot post on Facebook because I do not want my kids to see how very scared I am. Cal got some sudden weakness and numbness in his hands and a change in his gait. They found significant spinal stenosis very high (C3/C4) in his spine. Surgery will be to prevent further symptoms, he may be stuck with what he has right now. Of course, the surgery is difficult and if all does not go well he'd be paralyzed and on a respirator which would be terrible. I do not want to even consider things could go wrong. He's been pretty robust for someone who is 83. I was a bit scared when he had his joint replacements but this situation is magnitudes more. I just needed to talk about this. We had a lovely vacation trip but got colds and are just recovered though my allergies have kicked in with a vengeance. Now, this health crisis! My house looks like a tornado hit and I do not do well in a chaotic environment. Nothing here is getting done. The important things first, of course, Cal's health. Still, I'm a bit of a mess. Thanks for listening folk1

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb_zcalvinball_zpsqay1lvvv.gifclickheresmall_zpsu4msbetn.jpg

#2 mfortunato

mfortunato

Marcia Fortunato

• REGISTERED
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:family, scrapbooking, photography, hiking, travel

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:47 PM

Oh Karen, so sorry to read this! I will be praying for Cal and for you, too. Keep us posted.

• Ladydoc likes this
Marcia
mfortunato.blogspot.com
​Instagram - marciamfortunato

#3 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, podcasting, art, photography, travel, knitting, reading, design, sustainability, anthropology

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

Thank you, Marcia.

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb_zcalvinball_zpsqay1lvvv.gifclickheresmall_zpsu4msbetn.jpg

#4 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

Oh Karen, I will be praying for you and Cal. I know how scared you must be. I have a problem with stenosis also--I baby that neck of mine like crazy. Although, the surgeon told me a few years back that I will eventually need surgery also. Keep us posted on how Cal is doing. Hang in there my friend.

• Ladydoc likes this

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#5 snapsandsnippets

snapsandsnippets

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, cardmaking, reading, decorating

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:31 AM

Oh dear.  I stopped and said a prayer for both of you.  Hope his surgery went well.  Hugs!

• Ladydoc likes this

Susanne

Snaps & Snippets, my blog (on hiatus for who knows how long)

Snaps & Snippets on Facebook

Counterfeit Kit Challenge, design team member

photo-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346

#6 seffie

seffie

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 815 posts
  • Interests:Apart from scrapbooking? Reading, writing, stitching and storytelling

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

I'll be thinking about you both and your family. I'm very sorry to hear this

• Ladydoc likes this

#7 midwestgirl

midwestgirl

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Playing Piano, Knitting, The Ohio State Buckeyes

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Karen, you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Ladydoc likes this
Sue
Blog
Instagram
Pinterest

#8 Kristy T

Kristy T

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scrapbooking, making cards, baking yummy things to eat (not so much cooking dinner)

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

Jeepers Karen that does sound very stressful! I hope that things are going well and that you are also able to share with someone who is around and can give hugs as required. Will be thinking and praying for you both.

• Ladydoc likes this

Blogging at - http://kristytdesigns.com

#9 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Cal did well with the surgery. He went to a convalescent hospital last night for some rehab before coming home. It's doubtful he'll get back much feeling in his hands but the strength waxes and wanes which suggests that may be OK and it's just some post op inflammation affecting that. We hope to see a little improvement. Meanwhile, he's getting occupational and physical therapy to learn to cope. It could be so much worse-we are thankful it is a limited disability. Still, it's a lot to adjust to!
  • mfortunato likes this

#10 LisaDV

LisaDV

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Just checking in after a week of vacation. So sorry to hear you've had to go through this. I'm glad the surgery went well. I'll be praying for his quick recovery. Hugs.
  • Ladydoc likes this

calvinball.gif

#11 midwestgirl

midwestgirl

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Playing Piano, Knitting, The Ohio State Buckeyes

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the update. You have such a good attitude! Hoping his recovery is beyond what you anticipate.
  • Ladydoc and mfortunato like this
Sue
Blog
Instagram
Pinterest

#12 snapsandsnippets

snapsandsnippets

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, cardmaking, reading, decorating

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Glad to hear he did well, I hope his recovery is above and beyond his expectations.

• Ladydoc likes this

Susanne

Snaps & Snippets, my blog (on hiatus for who knows how long)

Snaps & Snippets on Facebook

Counterfeit Kit Challenge, design team member

photo-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346

#13 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 648 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Cal is coming home today. He's in good shape. He took advantage of a  full stay in rehab and I think it will mean he's going to be functioning pretty normally at home. He still has loss of sensation but his hand strength is pretty good and his legs have fully recovered. He uses a walker and that's helped his pain with his hip arthritis. Thanks to PT for working with him on this. He has the collar on which limits his head movement and he needs reminding to look where his hands are so the loss of sensation does not impede his function.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

• mfortunato and LisaDV like this

#14 KatieScott

KatieScott

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrapbooking, Picture Taking, Story Telling, Scrapbook Improv-ing, Blogging, Bikram Yoga Practicing, Kayaking, Theme Parking 40 something Mom and Wife who's a Lawyer by Day and a Scrapbooker by Night!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

sending healing thoughts your way

• Ladydoc likes this

#15 LisaDV

LisaDV

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

That's great! Glad he's home. Hope he continues to improve.
  • Ladydoc likes this

calvinball.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users